Friday, January 06, 2006

Rising Star - JO McCAFFERTY

Scottish based singer/songwriter Jo McCafferty has released three albums to date. Check out here MySpace site for a taster of her rather good tunes...

Q What are you currently up to?

A. I am currently putting a band together to record my next album, which will be non-acoustic for a change. I have written most of the material for it and am working on the arrangements.

Q. How would you describe your style of music to a new listener?

A. The songs are stories set to music, fairly biographical. It's a cross between Joni Mitchell, Melanie, Suzanne Vega, Hazel O Connor and Tanita Tikaram I guess! (That's what other people have said anyway).

Q. How do you hope to get heard above all the other bands and singers vying for attention out there?

A. By ridiculous PR stunts. Only joking. To be honest I kind of like where I am right now, I'm not famous but i get to do what I want to do. I guess with more backing, say from a label, I could do more tours, but I don't intend to chase longingly after labels. I prefer to just get on with it all myself.

Q. How do you view the current live scene in the UK as regards new bands getting exposure?

A. It depends on what the new bands it trying to do. If they are just looking for a record deal then I guess most bands will be hard pushed. If they are looking to gig and gain experiences then there are loads of great venues all over the UK.

Q. How has the Internet helped spread the word about you?
Do you think downloading is helping or killing music?
A. I now have fans in the States, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, France, Germany and Italy that I wouldn't have had without the net.
I think downloading is good for musicians and not so good for major corporations, unless they've played their cards right. The increased access to new music is brilliant for unsigned bands, and more and more people spend time searching out new music online rather than being spoon fed by the media.


Q. What bands/artists do you admire and/or are an influence?
A. Nine Inch Nails. I think the music is amazing. I am not sure it is particularly a musical influence though. Danny Elfman is so talented it's almost painful. I am currently particularly impressed by Kaiser Chiefs.

Q What have been the highlight(s) and lowpoint(s) of your career to date?
A. Highlight, touring the States. Lowpoint, playing a gig where all the audience were so drunk they just weren't listening. One member of the audience was receiving oral pleasure while I was singing. I cut the show short...

Q What ideally would you like to achieve ideally by this time next year?

A Ideally I would like to get this album in the charts, do a world tour and buy a small island...

Q. What’s the most rock ‘n’ roll moment you have had so far?

A. Hmm I'm not so rock and roll. I think being very drunk and then singing BV's at the Albert Hall was quite amusing. I got lost back stage and rambled at Nick Hancock who I then found out was somebody famous. Oops...

Q. What CD's do you currently have available and where can they be purchased from?

A. I have 3 albums available at the moment, they are available from my website www.jomccafferty.com . I think there may also be some on eBay...

Message to your fans...
Keep buying albums!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Site Meter Image hosting by Photobucket