Saturday, July 08, 2006

10 Q's with ROBIN GEORGE

Remember the single 'Heartline' in the mid-80's? Robin George is a very talented guitarist/singer/songwriter. His new album is out now & well worth getting. Over to the man himself...

1. What are you currently up to? (E.g. touring/studio, etc.)

I’m in the studio mixing the Damage Control album…I think it’s the best band/album I’ve ever been involved with, but then I always say that!

2. Could you take us through the tracks on the new album 'Crying Diamonds' (BTW a superb album & back to your best UIMHO) and any stories behind the songs?

Thanks for the compliment. They are my versions of the songs Robert Plant, Glenn Hughes and other great singers had performed but not released (yet!) so I knew the songs were good enough to be heard. In a different time I’m convinced tracks like Haunted and Learn the Dance would have been hits, (but it aint over yet!)

3. This album has seen a release before on Zoom Club Records. What changes did you make for the Majestic Rock release and any plans to tour around this release?

It’s been re-mixed and mastered and I’ve added a couple of tracks to make it worth while for people to listen to (I hope). Zoom Club didn’t really release the album, it sort of escaped!
It wasn’t available in most shops, and so Geoff Gillespie (he was A&R at Zoom Club at the time) thought it was too good to waste, so now he’s at Majestic Rock, he asked to re-release it through them, so here it is.
I’m planning to do some gigs with a major British act later this year…watch this space.

4. Damage Control - how is this album progressing and how did you hook-up with Pete Way? How did Spike of the Quireboys get involved?

As I said we‘re at final mix stage and it really rocks as an album.
The ideas started to flow during the Waysted back from the dead mixing session (I was mixdown producer). At the end of each day, I’d play Pete a few of my tracks, and in return he’d attack one of my beautiful guitars and execute some of his ideas. We started recording straight after we finished the Waysted mixes and really liked how the songs sounded. I was singing lead, which Pete really liked, but I felt we needed a stronger voice, and a power front man.
Enter Spike. He and Pete have been friends for years and Pete suggested he did some backing vocals on the album…the rest is history…as soon as I heard Spikes’ voice, I knew he was the man for the gig.
Chris Slade is a superb drummer and also fantastic to work with.

5. Are there any artists/bands out there you would like to work with if given the chance and why?

I’m sticking with Damage Control for now even though I’ve had a few great offers lately…typical!

6. What have been the most memorable gigs and why?

The ones I can’t remember! I can’t remember why!!

7. Why do you think the 'Heartline' single never became the hit is so rightly deserved?

Bronze records went broke as it was breaking as a single wordwide, so the money ran out…shame; I really liked Gerry Bron and his team.

8. You have worked with two of the most famous vocalists in rock, Phil Lynott and David Byron. What was it like working with them and what are your fondest memories of them both?

It was an honour and a privilege to have worked with both Phil and David, and a tragedy to lose them so young. I have so many memories, all of them fond; it would take all day to recount them.
They were both real stars, but I’m proud to say they were also my dear friends who taught me lots about this business.

9. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Making music.

10. Message to your fans...

Thanks for all your support and goodwill over the years… it’s priceless to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Site Meter Image hosting by Photobucket