Monday, October 03, 2005

10 Q's with GUY PRATT (PINK FLOYD/ROXY MUSIC)

Bassist Guy Pratt has been involved in many bands down the years including Pink Floyd and currently the reformed Roxy Music. He also tours his one man show, mixing some bass playing with a lot of humour/stand-up.

Website

1. What are you currently up to? (E.g. touring/studio, etc.)

I'm trying to get my head around writing my book, preparing for my first West End show

Monday 24th October 2005, 7.30pm
The Sound Theatre
Swiss Centre
10 Wardour St
London

Tickets: 0870 890 0503
www.kitproductions.com

About to move house and wishing Roxy Music would crack on with their new album...

2. You are currently doing a solo tour. How has this been going and how did you compose the show?

Not on tour yet. I did the Edinburgh Festival which went better than I could ever have hoped.
It's an autobiographical comedy show, with some Bass playing thrown in, but essentially humorous.

3. What were the live highlights when you toured with Pink Floyd? How did the Floyd fans take to you to start with given that you were replacing Roger Waters bass playing?

Playing The Palace of Versailles, Venice and Moscow stays with you...
I wasn't aware of any particular level of resentment. Roger had just been out on tour so they had 2 shows to go to!

4. How has your guitar playing changed down the years? Have you seen your style of playing influencing other bass guitar players?

You calm down and don't try to get noticed as much, although my old type of bass playing doesn't really exist anymore. It's a grim time for bass playing now.
I've heard people say they're influenced by me, but no-one I can think of....If anyone knows someone who is, please pass it on..

5. How did you hook-up with Roxy Music? Are you purely involved in a live capacity or will you be involved in any new recordings?

I've worked with Bryan Ferry on and off for 20 years, and yes, I have been recording with them.

6. Who have been your main musical influences and why? What other bassists do you admire?

The Who, The Clash, Springsteen for sheer intent and power. I listen to old Cuban and Jamaican music mainly for Bass...
Aston Barrett, James Jamerson, Bernard Edwards, Bootsy, Andy Fraser, John Paul Jones,Entwistle.....

7. Of all the sessions and artists you've worked with down the years who have been the most memorable and why?

Madonna and Michael Jackson spring to mind but if you want the stories you'll have to come to the show!

8. Any plans for a solo album at all? Or do you prefer playing in a band environment?

I have no manifesto as such.

9. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Laughing, Reading, Films, Sailing, Hot places....

10. Message to your fans...

Hi everyone, if anyone...If you are a fan then I'm thrilled and surprised. I will be touring my show
"My Bass and other animals" around the UK next year and hopefully internationally.
Please come and say hello.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great interview. I run a blog dedicated to bass player news at http://www.24stgeorge.com and linked to this story.

6:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Site Meter Image hosting by Photobucket