Wednesday, April 19, 2006

10 Q's with DEAN HOWARD (T'PAU/SOLO)

Guitarist Dean Howard rose to prominence with pop rockers T'PAU and since then has toured with IAN GILLAN, BAD COMPANY and now his own band.

1. What are you currently up to? (E.g. touring/studio, etc.) .

I recorded an album about a year and half ago with some of my mates guesting on vocals ie Ian Gillan, Danny Bowes from Thunder and Toby Jepson from the Little Angels also Dave Dommeney, who is the singer of my band. The album is called volume one and is available through Townsend records. We supported Deep Purple about a year ago and we have been doing a few shows of our own. We are currently talking to a couple of record labels with the view of recording volume two.

2. You’re on the new Ian Gillan album, ‘Gillan’s Inn’. Will you be involved in any tour dates to back up this release? How did you first meet-up with Ian Gillan?

I have just played guitar for Ian at the Royal Albert Hall and there might be some more dates later in the year to promote his album, Gillans Inn. I met Ian in 1992 when I joined his band for a world tour. I got the gig because T'pau had just split, so I was available. Ian's co manager was a mate of mine so he asked me if I was interested in the job, obviously I was.

3. How did the Monsters of Rock tour go? Do you think you picked up any new
fans?

The tour went well but unfortunately we went on so early that there wasnt a great amount of people at the start of our set but by the end of our short set we was playing to about half to three quarters full; the reception was great at every gig.

4. T’Pau – What were the live highlights with the band? Have you been involved in the reunited T’Pau that toured last year?

It was great fun being a "popstar". It was all our first professional band and then for it to become so big was great, I will never forget it. No I am not involved in any reunions.

5. Which song(s) do you enjoy performing most live and why?

Thats a hard question as there has been so many over the years, but I really enjoyed playing the Purple songs that I played with Ian. Also one of my favourite bands being Bad Company I obviously enjoyed playing their songs. I always enjoy playing my own music.

6. Bad Company – You toured the US with this band. How did the gigs go and why did you leave?

The tour of America was fantastic. We Co headlined with Ted Nugent whom I am a big fan of and we did a bunch of shows with Lynyrd Skynyrd which was amazing. I did not leave, they split up so I had no choice.

7. How did you get your first break into the music business? What piece of advice
would you pass onto budding musicians?

I got my first break by being in the right place at the right time. You need to be persistent, confident and have belief in yourself, play as much as you can and meet as many people as you can. Most of my professional jobs have come my way by being there and knowing people in the biz.

8. Would you like to join a band again or do you prefer having a band under your own name so you can have more artistic freedom?

I like both

9. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I am currently managing my sons band called For Us She Envies. Getting along to gigs, writing songs for my next album and building up my guitar collection.

10. Message to your fans...

Hope to see you at a show somewhere in the near future. Keep checking out the web site for info www.dean-howard.info... and most importantly of all keep rockin' Deano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Site Meter Image hosting by Photobucket